Thursday, April 17, 2014

Alfredo spaghetti with zucchini

Made my first meal from scratch since starting this vegetarian project. No meat, no problem!


Found this online recipe last night for an easy Alfredo sauce and cooked up some zucchini (my favourite vegetable) to go on top. Wasn't bad, if I say so myself, with special thanks to my neighbour, Kate, who supervised to make sure I didn't go off track – did you know adding a bit of oil after cooking spaghetti will keep it from sticking together? I didn't. Now I do. And if you didn't, now so do you. Boom. 

Anyway, you basically just whisk everything together in a pot while it melts at medium heat, boil the pasta separately (bite a strand to see how soft you like it), and fry the chopped zucchini in a pan with butter (wait till it looks translucent before taking it off the heat) and presto, there's dinner for four. 

Actually, there was way too much sauce. But it'll be great for lunch today or a midnight snack for one of the housemates tonight. 

In case the above link doesn't work, here are the ingredients for the sauce:

  • 1/4 pound (or 1/2 cup) butter
  • 1 small (8 oz) package cream cheese
  • 2 cups milk
  • 6 oz (about a cup) grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp. black pepper 
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder 


No comments: